The Cheesy Cracker

A daily blog of my life as a computer geek/security expert. Note: Some stories may be fictional based on the author’s Benedryl induced coma at the time of writing.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

I Had To Ask

Originally posted Wednesday, October 19, 2005


I head into work the next day with a huge hang over. I open the door, my head hung low as to not draw attention to myself, dark shades over me eyes.

“Good morning” the secretary announces to me

“Morning” I say, in a low tone, my voice sounding like a Mack truck using its “Jake Brakes”

I waddle off to my desk for some piece and quiet, the center, seeming unusually quiet today……..a little too quiet.

-BEEP-

“Silence”

I wonder who that could be.

-BEEP-

“More silence”

“Yes” I say into blank air

“I need to talk to you, come see me in my office” The director says over my loud speaker
“I’ll be there in a few”

-CLICK- the sounds of him hanging up are heard through my speaker, but just to make sure…..”Fat ass……..” nope nothing, guess he really did hang up.

After getting a cup of coffee, taking a few aspirin (10 or 12) I head into his office.

“Ah, close the door behind you and take a seat” he says to me

I oblige and sit down holding my cup of coffee with both hands like a bum on the street, watching as the steaming liquid inside sways from one side to the other, almost cascading over the lip before coming back down. Back and forth, it continues to sway…..back….and forth……I begin to feel nauseas. Odd, that usually doesn’t happen until after meeting with the director.

“So what’s up?” I ask

“Well, I heard about the little 'to-do' yesterday.”

“Whatever are you talking about I ask” as if I have no idea

“Don’t think I don’t have ears, I know all about it”

“Funny, I could have sworn YOU WERE OUT TO LUNCH” I say shouting and looking at the closed door. I watch the base of the door as light and shadows dance across the floor, and the sound of footsteps can be heard scurrying away. (I have officially moved the admissions people to my hate list)

“Ah ha, thought you could get away with it did you. Nothing escapes me around here.” He says with assertiveness “I always know what is going on”

“Oh really” I say “then you already know what all happened and this meeting is pointless”

“Well……yes……but I want to get your side of the story” He says

“Yeah, ok….” I figure whatever; I can amuse him for a little while, besides this distraction is taking away from my throbbing hang over inside of my head.

“I just want to know what brought it on” he says

“Well, for starters, your lead mentor is an idiot.”

“Yes” he says shaking his head in a nodding form. I give him a quizzical look.

“So you agree?”

“Never doubted it” Again, I am puzzled

“And yet he is lead teacher?”

“Look” he says holding his hands out in front of him as if praying “I made him lead teacher because at the time there was no one else here, besides, the title is just a formality. He makes the schedule and reports to me what is going on throughout the network and what not.”

“Ok, but he said he was my boss” With this he lets out a huge laugh

“Far from it! As a matter of fact he should be taking orders and direction from you. He and I will be having a little talk as well and I will make sure he understands this.”

“Ah….ok” I turn and look around the room for any hidden cameras…..nope none that I can see. I pinch myself……..yep seems real. I look around again to be sure I am in the right place…….seems to be. Hmmmmm…..I think my director was abducted by aliens last night and replaced with someone else. This is just not like him.

“Let me ask you this” he sits back and looks up at the ceiling with his hands crossed behind his head “What is your first priority here?”

“The students” I say

He sits up straight in his chair, looks directly at me with a big smile on his face and slams his fists down onto his desk “EXACTLY!!!! And don’t you forget it. Actually you’re the first one I brought in here who got that right” he says “Junior seems to think otherwise.”

“Yes I know, I got that impression yesterday……oh and his name is Sped” I tell him

“Sped?” He looks at me with his head cocked “well never mind, are we on the cool now?”

“Yeah of course, I never once strayed away from my job duties.”

“Good, that’s what I like to hear, well get out there and continue on.” The director then leans back in his chair crosses his hands behind his head again and looks aimlessly up at the ceiling. He almost looks human.

“Oh and one more thing………next time you feel like your going to punch out his lights, come and talk to me first…….I can afford to lose him, I can’t afford to lose you.”

I shrug my shoulders “Ok”

“Yes, Sped and I will be having a long talk about things……..a very long talk…..” I am not positive, but I swear I heard an evil laugh coming from his office as the door closed behind me. Very odd indeed, I can’t help but think something is up with him.
I head back to my desk actually feeling pretty good about this last meeting. Maybe things will change around here. Maybe I don’t have to worry about things breaking or the network crashing and being down for hours because someone made a change that they thought was a good idea. Maybe I can finally get some things done like my own studying while the other teachers take some of the work load. Just then the lead teacher walks up to me.

“Hey, server crashed, all data is lost.”

“WHAT”

“Yeah I was running a check disk, and it froze up, now it’s in a continuous reboot cycle.”

“Why would you do a check disk on the server if it was running fine? Wait nevermind that, why in the hell would you run a checkdisk during normal business hours on a main server?”

“I don’t know, just felt like it.”

It’s at this point I begin to realize that nothing has changed that once again only smoke has been blown up my ass. I will not get to study, things will not finally work around here, and things are definitely not going to change with sped.

“I tried to reboot the server, and then I ran some utilities, then I swapped out…………”

His voice begins to drift off as my mind helplessly drifts away to a happy place. I look down at my cup of coffee, still swirling, not so steamy, splashing from side to side of my cup……..back and forth…..back and forth………back…………

There coming to take me away, ha, ha, he, he, ho, ho……

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Locations of visitors to this page