The Cheesy Cracker

A daily blog of my life as a computer geek/security expert. Note: Some stories may be fictional based on the author’s Benedryl induced coma at the time of writing.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Next Day

Originally posted Friday, October 07, 2005

Today is Friday and normally I would be alone. However, after yesterdays little disaster, I have requested that Sped, also known as the lead teacher, come in to help clean things up a bit. The director strolls past my desk and nods as he walks by, then freezes in his tracks turns to me and says “I heard there was a problem while I was gone yesterday?”

“Yeah, dumb ass decided it would be a good idea to deny access to the E: drive for all students.”

“Why would he do that? They need access to that server for their tests and all online material.”

“Yeah no shit” I say “well besides that, he also changed a lot of the web settings making things even more complicated, and changed all the local profiles to a more public one.”

“Wow! sounds like you guys had a fun day.” He says with a chuckle

“Oh yeah, about as much fun as pouring alcohol into open wounds.” I respond

He grimaces at the thought before asking “Well need any help cleaning things up a bit?”

“No, I told him since he made the mess he can come in today and help clean it up.”

“And he better of agreed?” he asks

“Yeah, he said he will be here around nine, so until then I will get to work on cleaning things up before students start coming in.”

“Very well then, sounds like everything is under control so I will just continue on.”
Not remembering why he came out here in the first place he turns and heads back to his office, while I begin to devise an attack plan to fix yesterdays problems as quickly as possible. It’s not long before things start piling up real fast.

“I can’t open this document!”

“Yeah me either” shouts another student

One of my less talented students, and by less talented I mean thinks he knows a lot about computers but really doesn’t, walks up to me and says "don’t worry I already tried several computers and got the same result.”

“Great….” I say running back to the server room to check the damage, only to find what I had suspected. Each time a student tries to print a document from the printer server they are denied access, mean while their computer keeps trying to access the printer locking their machine up. Thus every print sent to the printer gets hung up in the print queue also locking up the server. So I quickly clear out the print queue and reset the server, looks good, run back to the lab, too late, 4 other students have tried printing.
I yell out loud “No more printing, the server is down, I will let you all know when you can print”

I run back to the server while behind me I can hear my computer wannabe student giving some off the wall explanation as to why the printers are not working. Once again I clear the print queue and reset the server. Run back to the lab to begin working on the computers themselves only to find the printer now in pieces.
“What the hell happened?” I say looking down at a dismantled printer. From out of no where my computer genius pops up.

“Oh….ah, I thought maybe there was something wrong with the printer itself, so I took it apart.”

“WHY????” I ask him

“I was looking for a paper clip?”

This catches me so completely off guard that I just stand there with my mouth wide open not knowing what to say or how to respond.
“Ummmm……yeeeeaaahhhh….." Scratching my head in confusion "Explain this to me?”

“Well one time, at this place I worked, we had this printer, and it got jammed cause someone put a paper clip in it, so they asked if anyone knew anything about printers….”

“And let me guess, you raised your hand?” I ask

“Yep, and I took it apart and found the paper clip and fixed the problem.”

“Well great, now put this one back together because it has nothing to do with a paper clip.”

“Well I would” he says “but that was just a little inkjet printer, I don’t know nothing about these big fancy laser printers.”

“And yet you proceeded to take it apart anyway?”

“Well I figured I could learn something new.”

“Are you by any chance related to our lead teacher, Sped?”

“I don’t think so, why?”

“Never mind!”

I look down at what used to be the main printer for the students shaking my head.
“Well good thing fuck head will be in here soon” I think to myself.

I glance at the clock, 8:30am, and I am already breaking a sweat. Meanwhile I head into the medical lab to start working on those computers. As soon as I walk in I can see that I neglected to tell the medical students not to print. Off to the server room again to clear the queue and reset the server. By now I am getting pretty bogged down with other problems as well so I decide to redirect the printers to the one in the IT lab until I can get this mess sorted out and some help.

9:15am, no show from dip shit.

10:30am still no show.

At 1:30pm my printer is completely jammed up with requests from so many students trying to use it, the server has been reset numerous times, the printer queue is all fucked up, students are beginning to bitch about the response time at the school to resolve matters, and my lead sac of vomit has yet to show his ugly little head. I have narrowed the problem down to his little public profile that he created, but don’t have the time to sift through all the policies to determine what the hell is wrong with it at this time, so I head into the directors office. There is no need for words; my facial expressions said it all.

“I take it he never showed up to help?” the director says to me.

“Nope, and I am having a hell of a time trying to keep up with everything out there by myself and determine what the hell is going on with his profile he created. I either need the time to go through the policies one by one, or we need to do something more drastic”

“Hmmm…..” he says “well, easy enough, let’s just get rid of his profile.”

“Fine by me.”

With a few clicks of his mouse on the server side I watch as he renames the public profile, and resorts back to an old profile we used to have.

“Go check things out and let me know what happens.”

I head back into the lab and reboot the first computer I see to reset the profile. I open a word document from the web…..no problems…….print……and….and……nothing.

“SHIT”

Then I remember, oh yeah, my main printer is still in pieces, it printed to the other room. Running into the other room I am greeted by the familiar sounds of squealing rollers and the smell of burnt toner.

“Woohoo it worked” I shout.

I send out a message to the students to reboot their machines, and one to the director letting him know it worked. Shortly after the director walks out and confirms that all is well. I explain in more detail what the “Lead Teacher” he hired did the previous day while he was out. He assures me that he is going to have a long talk with him come Monday morning about proper change procedures.

“Oh really?” I ask “Again?” I ask

“What’s that supposed to mean?” He asks right back

“Well this is the eighth time he has done something so drastic that in the real world he would have been fired.”

“Are you counting?”

“Yes….but that’s beside the point, he knocked out the entire network for the students for several hours. If this was big corporate America, not only would he have been fired, they would have sued his ass as well.”

“Well don’t worry” he says “I will get him straightened out Monday morning!”

“Really...seems like this is a regular game between you two and nothing ever changes, it’s like you don’t give a shit……...or……..”

“Now see here, my first concern is the same as yours, and that’s to make sure the school is operational for our students and that will never change.”

“Good, then make sure he understands this time the ramifications of his actions, and that next time he needs to fill out a change request form so the rest of us can see what the hell he is doing and solve a hell of a lot of trouble in the first place.”

“Don’t worry; it will all be taken care of!”

Finally at 4:30pm, 30 minutes before we close, I get the main printer put back together and running. I spend the last half hour restoring the original printer to each machine before locking up the school. Tomorrow is Saturday and I am not on the schedule this time. Thank god for that.

I need a vacation

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Locations of visitors to this page