The Cheesy Cracker

A daily blog of my life as a computer geek/security expert. Note: Some stories may be fictional based on the author’s Benedryl induced coma at the time of writing.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Over the counter drugs RULE!!!!!!

Originally posted July 16th 2005

It’s a slow day, computer wise anyway, probably because it's Saturday and I’m working. Two hours after taking the Benadryl for my allergies I’m beginning to wonder if it was such a good idea after all. That stuff just seems to really knock me out. I can barely keep my eyes open. Oh well too late now, no worries.

I started the day at 8:30, by 9:00 am 6 students had rolled into class, each one telling their own story by which they walk and carry themselves.

Yep, there’s hangover guy, dark shades, slumped shoulders, stumbling over himself a little bit as he walks past my desk rubbing his forehead trying to find a suitable work station, far from sunlight or any noise as possible.

No doubt the only reason he came in today was probably to have some piece and quiet.

“GOOD MORNING!!!!!” I shout.

Like a deer caught in headlights he jumps back startled looking all around in a half daze, before realizing where the pleasantry had come from.

“Oh….ummmm…yeah, same to you” he says as he puts his head back down walking into the lab trying to conceal the fact that I just intensified his headache by ten fold.

So far everyone has hunkered down at the work stations in the other room working on assignments. I have the entire computer lab to myself. Nothing but piece and quiet……….a little too quiet………creak…..clunk. The front door opens and shuts signaling another student has just entered. Great, don’t these people have anything better to do on a Saturday?

“…….tap……tap…..tap…..” I hear him logging into the front desk computer.

My mouse races across my desktop as I check to see who just logged in.. Hmmmmm…….some student by the initials “TR”. I scan my student list, (which seems to be increasing on a daily basis now even though I haven’t added anyone new......... damn FNG syndrome), to find someone that fits those initials.

Odd, I don’t recognize the name, but then why should I, it’s only day 5 on the job. Ok scratch that, we’ll just wait and see who rounds the corner. Come on super model, (I can wish can’t I?)

Ah DAMMIT, its kaki shorts, dress shirt, sandals guy. Interestingly enough he must have had a problem with his socks staying up because today he has taken geekdom one step further by adding those little tiny suspenders to each sock.

His face is turned to the other side of the room when he clears the hallway. Quick I grab my Oracle book and open to a page, raising an eyebrow and placing my hand on my forehead rubbing it back and forth to signal that I’m in deep thought and shouldn’t be disturbed. Seems to be working fine for drunk guy in the other room, even though from my advantage point I can clearly see he hasn’t even logged into the machine in which he is sitting at yet.

I wait a few minutes as Super Geek (that’s what I call him now) settles into a computer not more then a few feet from me. I can tell by the quizzical look on his face that he has something on his mind and wants to talk to me……….god I hate that. I add in a few “humph” and “sighs” along the way to really play it off that I am busy.
You really have to be on the offensive if you want the busy look to fool the student, and I think its working. I can see from the corner of my eye that he is getting up, possibly to go ask someone else, or maybe to move to another room or maybe………..*eyes getting heavy now*………….my mind begins to drift off thinking of happy thoughts like sleep, yeah sleep is good……..wait a minute……I think the Benadryl is really kicking in now. I twitch slightly in my seat as if my body is trying to tell my mind we need to stay awake, although I’m not entirely sure why.

Oh crap, my guard was down, did he notice? I slowly bring my head up and raise my eye to see where he is. Cool, I don’t see him; he must have slipped into the other room when I was dozing off. I relax for the time being and sit back in my chair, arms behind my head, with a slight grin of achievement on my face thinking I had won the battle.

“Can I ask you a question?” I hear come from just behind me.

Damn it!!!!!!! RED ALERT....We’re under attack, every man for himself.
Super Geek, using his oversized brain power has some how flanked my left side when I wasn’t looking. Damn his powers, DAMN them to hell I say.
Now I’m just plain pissed off.

“Sure what’s up?” Trying to show at least some effort!

“I seem to be having trouble with this SQL database, ….blah…..blah…….blah, blah……..” eyes getting very heavy now…….”the first select statement for employee last name…………blah……blah………”

“Shhhhhh quiet time now” I say before he can finish.

“……..huh?...” he stammers.

“I said quiet time………..” drifting……..drifting………..gone.

I love you Benadryl!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Locations of visitors to this page