The Cheesy Cracker

A daily blog of my life as a computer geek/security expert. Note: Some stories may be fictional based on the author’s Benedryl induced coma at the time of writing.

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Here's a quick one

And so it begins......

Phone rings:

Me: Thank you for calling IT, how can I help you?

User: Yes, my laptop was stolen and I am having some trouble with the replacement.

Me: Your laptop was stolen?

User: Yes!

Me: And someone actually gave you a replacement?

User: Yes, but.....

Me: Was it left in your car, or wait, I bet you went to a conference, and the speaker said, OK lets take a 5 minute break, and you thought, oh what's the harm of leaving my laptop out in the open while I run to the bathroom, I mean come on, I am in a high quality 35 dollar a night hotel, with exceptional well trained staff that would never think of taking anything so easily accessible as an unlocked laptop, along with my bag which conveniently contains all the proper cords, keyfob, and passwords I wrote down!

User: How did you know it was stolen at a conference?

Me: Lucky guess. Anywho, what seems to be the problem with your new one.

User: Well, I think they forgot a few things!

Me: You mean like installed applications?

User: No not exactly. I mean like.......well.......you see I had all these pictures in the "My Pictures" folder, and a bunch of music in the music folder. Then on my desktop I had all these important papers and thesis that I have been working on for months.

Me: .........

User: Hello?

Me: OH MY GOD, THERE'S A FIRE, Sorry but I have to go now.......

User: But what about.....

*CLICK*

*RING*

Me: Thank you for calling IT, how can I help you?

User: Yeah every time I close the lid on my laptop the display goes dark.

Me: What display?

User: The computer display, duh!

Me: Yeah, lets insult the guy trying to help you in the first 30 seconds of conversation!
So you have dual monitors?

User: No, on my laptop.

Me: Just to clarify, when you close the lid on your laptop the display on your laptop goes blank?

User: Exactly!

Me: Sir........ I can assure you that this is by design and is a power save feature, you see, the manufacture assumes that if you can't see the display then there is no point on wasting precious battery life and leaving it on.

User: But I can see it, see I found this little button by the hinge and when I push it simulating the lid being closed the screen goes blank.

Me: Did you honestly call me and waste my time to tell me this?

User: Yes, and I don't see it as a waste of time.

*CLICK*

If you need me, I'll be the one feeding the pigeons at the park with a blank stare upon my face........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Locations of visitors to this page